Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Not Just for Coffee

Up until 2010, Cafe Helios located on Glenwood Avenue, right under the night club Solas, was an old plumbing and heating building.

Ewwwww.....

Don’t worry though, Harry Medlin the owner turned this frog into a prince. It has turned into be a very successful place where you can enjoy local coffee, art, music, and it has become a social hub for Raleigh's coffee lovers, and night owls.

"It’s all about the experience", Hannah Middleton says while she is enjoying a glass of Merlot. Middleton loves going to Cafe Helios at night because she can’t always get up early enough for coffee and breakfast.
She also just loves going to get a glass of wine and listening to music.

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee. That’s what I went for but at 5:00 p.m. on a Thursday I couldn’t help but snag a beer. This place has really good beers from local breweries, but I’m not going to talk about the amazing beer because there is another blog dedicated specifically to that.

When I first walked into Cafe Helios the first thing I noticed was all the Macs. Like some of my fellow students said, "Don't pull out a HP, or a Dell, you'll look out of place". So I definitely didn't take my HP. Other than the favored laptop choice, the environment is very unique. Just by looking at the structure and design, you can tell there was allot of thought and time put into this coffee shop.

I’m glad Medlin didn't leave it to a simplistic little shop. It’s vibrant, exciting, and made me feel like I was getting a little of my night life in at 5:00 in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment